General Information

What you need to know

  • Immigration

    Moving to Ireland

  • Immigration Q&A

    Most common questions

  • Social Security

    Personal Public Service Number

  • Revenue

    Register for tax purposes

  • Banking

    Open a bank account

  • Housing

    Finding somewhere to stay


Moving to Ireland

If you plan to take employment in the Republic of Ireland, you need to have knowledge of some of the Irish laws and regulations regarding Foreign Nationals’s rights and obligations.

If you are a national of the European Economic Area (EEA) or of Switzerland, you have the right to enter, reside and work in Ireland without further formalities.

If you are a non-EEA national and intend to come to live in Ireland, there are several important pieces of documentation that you may need before coming here. These documents include:

  • An employment permit or business authorization that allows you to work in Ireland.
  • A relevant visa if you are a citizen of a visa-required country that allows you to enter Ireland.
  • A passport stamp confirming you are registered with the Garda National Immigration Bureau that allows you to stay and reside in Ireland.

In the next sections you will find valuable information that might ease up your immigration process in Ireland.

Please find further information in

Before you arrive in Ireland

If you are a non-EEA national who is coming to take short-term or long-term employment in Ireland, you will need permission to do so. Please note that you will need a valid passport with at least 16 months of validity in order to apply for any Employment Permit.

The main types of Employment Permits are Critical Skills Employment Permit, General Employment Permit, Intra-Company Transfers and Atypical Work Schemes. Processing times for Employment Permit applications vary greatly and can take from 4 to 6 weeks depending on type of application and volumes.

Once you have been granted an Employment Permit, you will have to apply for the relevant visa if you are a citizen of a visa-required country. There are various types of visas and each Irish Embassy has discretion to have put in place their own procedures. Processing times can also vary widely. Some Irish Embassies can issue visas in 7-10 working days, while others can take up to 5 weeks.

Once you have your original Employment Permit and a valid Irish visa (for visa required nationals only) you can book your flight and travel to Ireland.

Please contact the Global Mobility team in KPMG Ireland to be advised on which permit would suit your situation better as well as having your circumstances addressed. The team can also help you understand the different types of visa, the documents required and the processing times of applications around the world.

Please check if you need an Irish visa in

After you arrive in Ireland

When you land in one of the airports in Ireland, you will pass by the Irish Border Control. At border control an immigration officer will examine your passport, your visa (for visa required nationals only), and your original Employment Permit or Letter of Approval (for Atypical Work Schemes only).

The officer will then place a ‘landing stamp’ in your passport to give you temporary immigration permission to stay in the country. The usual time limit is 3 months, though you may be given less. Should you wish to stay longer than 3 months, you must visit an immigration registration office before your landing stamp expires.

Immigration registration

When you ‘register’, you are being granted with permission to stay in Ireland for longer than 90 days. This is the last step of your immigration process and must be done in due time.

If you live in Dublin, you must book an appointment online before your visit to Burgh Quay Registration Office to register in person. Please note that there are often delays for appointments and we strongly advise you to start trying to secure an appointment as soon as your arrival date is confirmed. If you live outside Dublin, you must go to a regional office to register.

During your visit to the registration office, you will provide the officer with your passport with correct visa (if applicable), original employment permit and a letter from KPMG Ireland confirming your employment. The officer will put a stamp in your passport to grant you immigration permission to stay in Ireland. A registration fee of €300 will be collected from you by bank giro, credit card or debit card. They will then register you and prepare to issue you with a registration certificate called an Irish Residence Permit (IRP). Your IRP card will be sent to you by post and should arrive within 7 to 14 working days.

Registration based on an Employment Permit is usually valid for 12 months. If you wish to stay in Ireland longer, you must renew your IRP card before it expires and only to the limit of the duration of your Employment Permit. We advise you to proceed the renewal at least two weeks in advance from the expiration date stated in your IRP card.

The Global Mobility Team in KPMG Ireland is here to provide you with immigration and relocation advice and support your experience before and after your arrival in Ireland. Should you have any queries please don’t hesitate to get in contact with the Team.

Please find further information on

Go to Top

Immigration Q&A

Most common questions

I’m a Critical Skills Employment Permit (CSEP) holder. Can my spouse/partner work in Ireland?

Yes, your spouse/partner can work in Ireland. The Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service will grant eligible spouses of CSEP holders permission to reside in this State on Stamp 1G conditions without the need to obtain a Dependant/Partner/Spouse Employment Permit. To obtain the permission, your spouse/partner can attend your local immigration office with you. You must provide a copy of the CSEP. Your local immigration officer will issue eligible persons an Irish Residence Permit (IRP) on Stamp 1G conditions.

I’m a General Employment permit holder. When can my dependants join me in Ireland? Can my spouse/partner work in Ireland?

You may be able to bring your family to live here after you have been legally working here for 12 months on a General Employment Permit. You also have to be able to show that you will be able to support them. If you have a General Employment Permit your spouse, partner or dependants are not eligible to apply for a Dependant/Partner/Spouse Employment Permit. They can apply for a General Employment Permit in their own right.

What is a Support Letter for a Stamp 4?

The Critical Skills Employment Permit holder must apply to the Department of Business Enterprise and Innovation for a Stamp 4 “Support Letter” after completing 21 months working in Ireland. You will be issued with an immigration permission which allows you to reside and work in Ireland without the need for a further employment permit. The Immigration permission granted by the Garda National Immigration Bureau will be valid for two years, which is then renewable subject to the persons concerned meeting all relevant criteria as stated on the website of the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service.

Official Questions & Answers

Employment Permits:

Family Reunifications:

Stamp 1G for Third Level Graduates:

Long Term Residency:

Go to Top

Social Security

Personal Public Service Number

If you are coming to Ireland to live and work, it is important for you to be aware of the social security system in Ireland. There may be some significant differences between the system in Ireland and your home country so it will be worthwhile to familiarise yourself with the system in advance. Please find some information below.

What is Personal Public Service (PPS) number and why do I need it?

Your Personal Public Service number is a unique reference number given to you to help you access social welfare benefits and public services in Ireland. It is a unique identifier and makes it possible for public bodies to operate more efficiently.

If you are starting work for the first time in Ireland you will need a PPS number for social security and tax purposes. You will also use your PPS number for accessing social welfare and a wide variety of public services.

Please find further information on

How to apply for a PPS number?

You should contact your Social Welfare Local Office who will assist you with the registration process and attend your nearest PPS Number Allocation Centre also known as Intreo Centres. Please note that some Centres operate an appointment only system and it can take up to 2 weeks to secure the same.

We advise you to register for an account and book your appointment as soon as possible.

For general guidance please visit the website:

What will I be asked for?

To get a PPS number, you will need to fill out an application form in the PPS Number Allocation Centre, provide evidence of your identity and evidence of why you need a PPS number allocated. You must also provide proof of your address. KPMG will provide a Confirmation Letter to you. Please find details below:

Proof of identity You will need to bring an official ID. Please provide your valid and current passport.
Proof of address Your KPMG letter can be used for this purpose and suffices as evidence of address confirmed by a third party.
PPS number is needed Your KPMG letter is a credited evidence of your employment with KPMG Ireland which is the reason PPS number is needed.
Go to Top


Register for tax purposes

Once you receive your PPS number you will need to register to pay tax in Ireland. The Office of the Revenue Commissioners serves the community by collecting taxes and duties. Registration is mandatory and once it is completed, you will have your own myAccount profile.

myAccount is a single access point for secure online services. It is an easy way to perform a number of tasks. It allows you to access many Revenue services including updating your personal details, reviewing your tax affairs, making payments and applying for certain tax reliefs and incentives.

You will need the following details to register:
  • PPS number
  • Date of Birth
  • Telephone number
  • Email address
  • Home address (must be the same as the address used to get your PPS number).

Instant access will not be available to you at this time. Your password will be sent to you by post following successful registration.

For further guidance please visit the website

Go to Top


Open a bank account

In order to manage your money day-to-day while in Ireland, you will need to open a bank account in the country. This will allow you to receive automated payments such as salary, wages or benefits, withdraw money from ATM machines and do purchases with a card.

Due to recent changes in banking regulations opening a bank account in Ireland can be a time-consuming task. However, KPMG has partnered with a provider of personal financial services in Ireland that can provide all our international employees with a current account shortly after arrival.

If you need to open a bank account in Ireland, please feel free to reach out to the Global Mobility team for further advice.

Go to Top


Finding somewhere to stay

Ireland is famous and loved for its food and drinks, its history, its picturesque countryside and its vibrant cities. Ireland also ranks first on a quality of life when considering family and community life and gender equality, for example.

Nonetheless, finding a permanent accommodation in Ireland can be challenging. To help you settling in the country, we provide you support through a relocation company that will help you find a place that suits your needs and preferences.

To find information about the Irish housing market please visit:

Go to Top